Custom sheds on a given property have numerous potential purposes, and one of the most common is storage. And for those who take the holiday season seriously in terms of lights, ornaments and various other decorations, both inside and outside their homes, storage sheds are a fantastic addition to help house these various items.
At A-Shed USA, we’re proud to offer a wide variety of storage sheds, utility sheds and other related options that will keep your holiday decorations and other items protected and safe during the year so they’re ready for each winter. Here are several specific tips on storage of these items once the holiday season finishes up and it’s time to take decorations down.
Light Storage Options
For those who utilize outdoor and indoor lights, many of which come on longer strings, it’s important to keep them from becoming too tangled-up or messy. Before you store these, ensure you get rid of any damaged strings or lights that are not working, as these could pose a fire hazard – also replace any burned-out bulbs before you store these.
Once it’s time to store your lights, you have a few good options in terms of specific storage containers:
- Cardboard tubes: In many cases, empty carboard tubes that once held holiday wrapping paper will be perfectly repurposed as carriers for holiday lights. Cut a slit at the end of each tube, which will allow you to secure the end of a given strand so it stays in place, then wrap a strand of lights around each tube. We recommend limiting this to one strand per tube to avoid tangling.
- Coffee can: Another good wrapping option is a coffee can – you can place the plug end inside a slit you cut on the lid, then wind the lights around it.
- Zip bags: If you have a large zip-shut bag, these are usually the best for copious or larger light strands. Use your elbow to create a solid circular wrap, plus twist-ties to keep it in place.
- Clothes hanger: For shorter light strands, you can use a clothes hanger with a twist-tie for the plug end.
If you utilize ornaments for a Christmas tree or related area, the first step at storage time is to clean them to remove any tree trimmings. From here, we recommend clear containers for storage – this allows you to see what’s inside them come next holiday season, important if you have a lot of ornaments.
Other Holiday Items
Some other holiday items and corresponding storage options:
- Wrapping paper: Clear garment bags are great for storing these rolls of paper.
- Wreaths: Coat hangers also do very well here, or some choose to hang them from the rafters of their shed.
- Artificial trees: To keep a tree fresh and clean, consider wrapping it in heavy-duty shrink wrap before placing it in the shed.
For more on sheds as fantastic holiday item storage options, or to learn about any of our custom sheds or garages, speak to the staff at A-Shed USA today.